Each knife in the Birchwood collection features 101 layers of steel—50 layers clad on each side of the Cryodur-hardened SG2 microcarbide steel core—forming a delicate Damascus pattern with a Rockwell hardness of 63. Blades are hand-honed using a traditional three-step process. Plus, the D-shape of the natural Masur birch handle creates a comfortable grip and ensures tireless cutting, even with frequent use.
- A core of SG2 microcarbide steel is clad on each side with 50 layers of stainless steel
- Forged 101-layer construction results in an elegant, unique Damascus pattern with a Rockwell hardness of 63
- Blades undergo a special Cryodur process to ensure ultimate hardness, initial sharpness, cutting edge retention, and the best possible corrosion resistance and blade flexibility
- D-shaped, natural Masur birch handle creates a comfortable grip and ensures tireless cutting, even with frequent use
- Blades are sharpened twice on whetstones with custom grits, followed by mirror polishing on a leather wheel
- Master artisans hand-finish each knife using a classic honbazuke honing technique